Saturday, June 27, 2015

Awesome Philadelphia trip





We have a dreaded routine on our family trips:  I read all the literature and tourist guides and come up with a list of things I want to do.  John and the kids groan because they hate my forced family marches around cities, through parks, on trails, into museums, etc.  I say they'll all thank me later that they don't spend their trips in a hotel room staring at instagram.  Some tidbits about our recent trip to Philadelphia.

How far we walked on the longest Saturday of our lives:  6 miles

I felt proud when:  my 12 and 14 year old went on a shopping trip alone and navigated the city on their own.

Mimi's favorite part:  the giant heart in the Franklin Institute (got into FI free with our St. Louis Science Center membership).  Gus liked the brain.

A tiny bit overrated:  the Eastern State Penitentiary but the lunch across the street at Jack's firehouse was much needed.  We had a great lunch with Coke's in glass bottles, Bloody Mary for John, and a Victory Pils for me.

Thank goodness I found:  bowtie at Macy's for Gus.  It totally made his look!

My review on the Phlash bus which will take you to all the tourist spots for $5 a day:  it's great if it shows up.   If one of them gets in a wreck, you're stuck waiting for 40 minutes in the blazing sun waiting for another to show up.

Activities that weren't on "my list" but were glad we did:  Richard Avedon exhibit at National Jewish Museum and the Morrissey Concert at the Kimmel  Center.

What else we did:  family dinner, visit LOVE statue, played in fountains, Genghis Khan exhibit, Liberty Bell, Independence Mall (sadly no time for hall), rooftop pool/pizza/beer with family, Rocky Stairs, Phillies v. Cardinals game.

I'm still in St. Louis moments:  "GO CARDS" everywhere and "Hot in Herre" by Nelly at the wedding.

Wish I had made it to:  Betsy Ross house and the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul.

And- John weary and on 5.5 miles into our city journey, recognized Rittenhouse Square from one of our favorite movies, Trading Places.





No comments:

Post a Comment