Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bad Mansard v. Alabama twister

Here's what's left of a bad mansard apartment? Office building? John's second cousin Jessica H. took these photos in her town of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. John has a large extended family in Alabama and fortunately they are all ok.

Having grown up in St. Louis, I am quite used to tornado sirens. Seems like they go off all the time now, perhaps due to tornadic (is that a word?) in adjacent counties.

Sometimes I am a bit nonchalant about getting down to the basement when the sirens start howling, and then talking. They do that now- talk- like the teacher in Charlie Brown. Scenes like this and our own Good Friday Tornado and the Tornado of 1896 are a reminder to me that I should get myself into the basement.

Our first house in Lafayette Square didn't have a 3rd floor. Its 3rd floor was ripped off in the 1896 tornado. The roof and then bricks were peeled from the masonry home and went flying, likely into windows and people. That brick cyclone must have been horrifying and terribly dangerous.

Lesson- get in the damn basement.

2 comments:

  1. We go to the basement. And then turn on the weather radio and try to decipher what's going on. Sometimes we sneak back up to watch Cindy Preszler fill time on the TV. But we try to be careful.

    In Mansard-specific questions, do you have the one on Big Bend between Shrewsbury (the corner of Mansard) and going into Webster? It's some sort of business. I saw it today and thought of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the reasons for the sirens going off if there is tornadic (if it ain't a word, it should be) activity in the next county, but it does seem to dull my reaction. Like you I'd become a bit ". . . nonchalant about getting down to the basement when the sirens start howling . . ." Thanks for the reminder to be more diligent about getting myself out of potential harms way.

    ReplyDelete